Monday, June 15, 2009

Entry 1

There is no way I can convince you that this is real. You probably think I'm an author, hiding in a cubicle and writing fanciful tales. But I'm not, nor am I sitting in a cubicle. I'm in fact sitting in an overlarge cushioned chair in the back of a spaceship cockpit. How could I be in a spaceship, you ask, if this blog is "real"? After all, real sixteen year old girls don't go off flying in spaceships. Well, this blog is real, and I have to backtrack a bit to explain.

My name is Carlee Earhart. I am currently sixteen years old and am a native of the planet Earth. Specifically my home country is the United States and my home state is Florida. I was an ordinary girl, I guess, though I was a foster kid. Some people think that's abnormal, but to me it's quite normal. It was my life, until the beginning of my sophomore year in high school. Back then I was just fifteen. I had no idea what wonders and terrors the universe held. Back then, the Society of Anthropologists wasn't after me.

When my sophomore year started, I was living in Metrowest Orlando. It was a great. My current foster parents, Scott and Ellen, lived in a neighborhood that was more expensive than anything I had ever lived in. I mean, it was no Isleworth, but I'm not Tiger Woods. Bardemoor (the name of our neighborhood) was quite to my liking. And Scott and Ellen were like perfect. They were pretty young; Scott was 37 and Ellen was 36. They had good jobs and they didn't mind having two teenagers in their house. As I'm sure you're aware, not many people can handle teenagers - especially when they're not their blood kids. It takes someone special to take in two teenage foster kids, and Scott and Ellen were pretty special. But this story isn't about Scott and Ellen. It's about me and my brother, John.

John's two grades ahead of me, so he was in his senior year. One more year and he was going to be home free, out of the system, and in college. Not everyone goes to college after high school, but it never crossed anyone's mind that John wouldn't go to college. He was going to be valedictorian; he was captain of the football team. My brother is brilliant, athletic, and quite the looker according to the other girls. Compared to John I'm a clumsy, stupid girl, but John never makes me feel clumsy or stupid. He takes care of me, like a good big brother should.

So our story starts in late September. The school year was still fairly new since it had started a little over a month before, but school had also started to get monotonous. I woke up that morning thinking it was just another school day. A Tuesday. Ugh. I hate Tuesdays. It has no benefit. It's not the middle of the week, it's not the day before Friday, and it certainly isn't Friday. It's just Tuesday. I was not expecting this Tuesday to go badly, but I was not expecting excitement either. Boy, was I wrong.

"Have a good day, kids!" Ellen called after us as John and I left the house, heading to the car Ellen and Scott had been amazing enough to buy him (even if it was like 7 years old). I waved halfheartedly back, not wanting to go to school and thinking I would see Ellen at dinner, after we got back from school and she got back from work. I slipped into the passenger seat as John started the car.

"Have any tests today or anything?" John asked, once he had pulled out of the driveway. John was the safest driver I had ever ridden with. Ellen was convinced that John was a better driver than Scott, which John was.

I glanced at my big brother, noting how ridiculously similar we were in looks. John and I had the exact same shade of blue eyes, not bright, not dark, almost gray. His brown hair was just as thick and unruly as mine, though he wore his short while I wore mine to my shoulders. We had the same straight pointed nose, thin lips, strong chin, and square shaped face. Really, I was just a girl version of John, though I was a little out of shape while John was captain of the football team. Everyone who looked us could tell we were siblings. Some people mistook us for twins, though John definitely looks older than I do.

"No," I responded, reverting my thoughts back to my dull Tuesday schedule. "Do you?"

"Calculus," he answered as if it was the easiest thing in the world. "Should be easy. We're still doing limits."

"You act like Calculus is the easiest thing in the world," I said. John wasn't just in Calculus. He was in AP Calculus BC, which is like Calculus 2. He had taken AP Calculus AB (Calculus 1) the year before. I was struggling in Algebra II. "You're way too smart."

"It's because I'm an android," John retorted, not even glancing my way but keeping his eyes on the road. Anytime I joked about John being too smart or too athletic or just too perfect in general, he always responded that he was an android. It had been his joke since before I could remember. It had been a joke before I had ever really known what an android was.

"I wish you were an android," I responded, glancing out the window and sighing as I saw the school. "And then I wish you were three laws safe, like in those Asimov books you made me read. Then I could tell you to do whatever I want." John was always making me read sci-fi books that he thought would make me a better person. He had made me read every Asimov book there was. I like scifi and Asimov is great, don't get me wrong, but I also enjoy a completely girly YA novel every once in a while, like Meg Cabot or Maureen Johnson. John thinks they turn my brain to mush.

"Be careful what you wish for," John said as he pulled into the school parking lot. I snorted, knowing that no amount of wishing would turn a completely human John into a robot.

Boy, was I an idiot!

No comments:

Post a Comment