Monday, January 25, 2010

Entry 56

Back on Earth, I can't say I was much into fashion, but I did watch America's Next Top Model, so I was fairly certain that there was little about fashion I did not know. Just because I didn't obey the rules did not mean I didn't know the rules existed. However, shopping in the mall at the space station I learned one important thing:

Humans have not yet even begun to discover fashion.

There are so many accessories that humans haven't fathomed, because they can't. We're just - by nature - limited by our humanity. I'm not sure I can begin to explain the accessories I saw, but here is one example.

Now on Earth we can get tattoos. Getting them is painful and people often regret them later in life. However, tehy are the only way we've managed to accessorize our actual skin (discounting facial makeup, which is a very limited form of accessorizing).

These aliens, however, have invented a small patch that you can place on your skin/scales/fur/feathers. This patch could then display predetermined patterns, photos, art, or even movies (minus the sound) across your skin. I tested one by putting it on (just stuck it on the back of my hand). It turned my entire skin blue with yellow stars. It looked exactly like I'd tattooed my entire body, not just some light projected pattern. I have no idea how it worked, but it was awesome.

There were other equally stunning accessories but that one should give you an idea.

Like typical American teenagers, John and I went from shop to shop, trying on clothes and playing with gadgets but not actually buying anything. We were used to window shopping and the windows here were so awesome that buying never really crossed our minds.

"I'm glad you two are having fun," Blaue interjected into our laughter in a hat shop. (Some species really like very strange hats. Or at least what I would describe as hats). "But don't forget that unless John wants to spend eternity wearing Ven's discarded clothes, you better buy some."

"Will Ven really let a mere android spend his money?" John said, and I was surprised by the touch of bitterness in his tone. Secretly a part of me said, "Aha! I knew John could not be as OK with everything as he seemed," and another part of me hurt because of his hurt.

"He won't like it, but Carlee can spend the money you've been allotted as she pleases," Blaue said. After a moment, she added, "within reason, You can't buy a pet. No pets in my halls."

"Where can we go that we'll find clothes to fit John?" I asked Blaue. "All the shops seem to only have clothes for exotic alien creatures."

"There is a humanoid store three shops down," Blaue answered. "Of course, they don't call it a humanoid store because they don't know what humans are - but you get the idea." We did, so we went to the store, which was created for people with two arms, two legs, and one head.

John was immediately attracted to the rack of blue pants that were similar in coloration to jeans. I rolled my eyes at my brother's unwillingness to try new things. By the time John had gathered clothes to try on (clothes that were the closest to Earth clothes he could fine) I had gathered a few outfits for him that Blaue said were fashionable on the human colony.

"What is this?" John sounded scandalized as he looked at the neon yellow jacket with short sleeves that I had picked out for him.

"It's a jacket," I said. "Blaue says its fashionable."

"It can't be a jacket - it has short sleeves," John pointed out. "And can't it be fashionable in a more calm color?" I rolled my eyes. Boys! Never willing to try something new.

"Just try it on and when it fits then we will discuss color." I shoved him into the dressing room. John always had been a reluctant shopper.

I waited impatiently for John to come out. I was putting all of my energy into shopping for him, and I wanted to see the results. It wasn't everyday I had the resources of an intergalactic mall at my fingertips to remake my brother.

"OK, I'm coming out," John called and then he stepped out of the dressing room.

I had to admit. My brother was dashing. he wore blue slacks that fit almost exactly like boot cut jeans, except that the shoes peeking out from underneath were not Reebok's. They were neon blue. (Apparently its stylish for your shoes to be some God forbidden bright color). He wore the jacket except it was no longer yellow. He had somehow found one that was exactly the same but it was neon blue to match the shoes. Beneath the jacket he wore a tight fitting long sleeved shirt that was blue like the jeans and made of a material remarkably similar to Under Armor.

"The jacket!" I exclaimed. "You switch it!"

"No, it can change color to be the color you want," John responded. "I still feel ridiculous, even if the color is somewhat better."

"But your the image of a young human colonist," Bluae said. "Buy it. And don't forget to get a few more outfits."

No comments:

Post a Comment