Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Entry 58

"You don't serve humans?" I asked, honestly perplexed. "But our Artificial Cognizant said you do."

"We do serve humans," the hostess said. "I'm going to have to ask you to leave."

"Come on, Carlee," John took me by the arm and pulled me from the restaurant. His face was contorted in an angry scowl. It had been a while since I had seen John so angry.

"I'm so sorry," Blaue said with agitation. "I didn't realize - I mean I should have asked. I just never though. They're always so nice to Ven."

"It's not your fault, Blaue," John said, his voice oddly detached and cold. "But yes, you should have asked."

"I'm sorry," Blaue said. "I'm not used to dealing with these sorts of things."

"What is going on?" I demanded, pulling my arm away from him. "Why wouldn't they serve us? What are you two talking about?"

"They wouldn't serve us because I am an android," John answered, his anger fading and being replaced by his usual mask.

"What? That's crazy. We're paying customers," I said. "No on turns away a paying customer."

"They can and they did," Blaue said. "Some restaurants refuse to serve androids because they don't think they should be wasting precious food resources on synthetic sentients when there are so many organic ones going hungry."

"But John needs food too," I protested. "He has to eat just like the rest of us."

"But I'm not a real person in their eyes," John said. "I didn't have to be made and by existing I'm stealing food from someone's hungry child."

"Well taht child didn't have to be born," I said. "Children can't help being born, true, but neither could you help being made. They shouldn't punish you for existing."

"Maybe it would be best if you came back for lunch," Blaue suggested.

"Let me guess. No one here serves androids," John said.

"I'm really sorry," Blaue apologized again. "I've never had a synthetic organic stay with me before. I'm not used to the necessary protocols."

"It's not your fault, Blaue," John said, "but there is no reason for Carlee to suffer just because I can't eat here..."

"Maybe neither of you have to suffer," Blaue interrupted. "I apprised Ven of the situation. He's ordering two lunches and having them sent to me. You'll have to eat with me but at least you'll get your cheeseburgers."

"Ven is going out of his way to do something for me?" John sounded like I felt: flabbergasted.

"Seems so," Blaue answered cheerfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment