Monday, September 14, 2009

Entry 52

After a week of anticipation, we had finally landed at the space station. I was not sure what to expect, trepidation and excitement filling me in equal amounts. The only real exposure I had had to the Universe had been at the Society of Anthropologists. Then everything had been overwhelming, not to mention the fact that I had been completely surrounded by enemies. Any one of those anthropologists would have stopped me from rescuing John. Now John was by my side, and together we were going to explore a truly alien society.

I wondered if it would be too alien for me to understand. Some cultures on Earth seemed truly bizarre and difficult for my mind to comprehend. And those cultures were made up of humans. Surely at the very least that should have given me some common ground to understand them. How much harder would it be to understand a culture based off of inhuman motivations? How much more difficult would it be to comprehend an alien who could not comprehend the values humans held dear? Or perhaps it would not be difficult at all. Perhaps humanity was not as human a trait as we arrogant humans liked to believe.

Blaue led us to the cargo bay where Ven was. The dashing young man was dressed handsomely in an outfit that was cut almost like a uniform. The coat was long sleeved and buttoned on his left side. His pants were the same dark blue color and tucked into a pair of black boots that I had never seen him wear before. My breath caught in my throat at the sight of him. If Ven had not been such a contrary person, I imagined I could have very easily fallen in love with him.

Ven looked at us sternly and gave us one last reminder, "Remember, Blaue will take care of all your transactions, but you will be spending my money. I don't have a lot of it, so be thrifty. Blaue will approve all your purchases and her word is final. Please don't bother me unless its absolutely necessary."

"We understand, Ven," I said in exasperation. "You have only been reminding us for like ten years." He seemed confused by my exaggeration so he just ignored him.

"Well, enjoy yourself and try not to get into trouble," Ven said. He then turned to examine his cargo.

"Are you ready?" Blaue asked.

"Yes," I said eagerly. John smiled and agreed, "Yes." Blaue smiled and the wall in front of us disappeared.

No comments:

Post a Comment