Monday, September 21, 2009

Entry 53

I don't know about you, but when I imagine a space station I think of Deep Space Nine. Basically a large metal wheel in the sky. If I think really hard about it I might recall Battle School in Ender's Game or perhaps the actual International Space Station. In general, I was expecting curved gray or sterile white walls.

A gasp escaped my mouth as I stared at a cavernous lime green room. The room held several ships, or what I assumed to be ships. Some were barely bigger than a SUV and some were the size of million dollar houses. The room was not even half way filled, indicating it was very large indeed.

The ships were not the blocky gray and white metals objects that science fiction shows portrayed. Some seemed to be made out of coral and other organic substances and were light pink or yellow in color. I could not identify the material of many of the ships, but I was dazzled by the colors: blues, greens, stripes, dots, and everything in between.

Aliens of all species and types raced between the ships, unloaded cargo, or just stood by. Between the landing ships and alien conversations, the sound in the room was like a roar.

"Wow," I said, trying to take in the scenery. "This isn't at all like I imagined."

"It's just a basic space station," John said, knolwedge he had undoubtedly gained from all of his research. "This is the landing dock, which why its painted a warning color. It can be dangerous among all these ships."

"You're blocking the exit." Ven's voice interupted my observation of the landing dock. "Either stay inside or get out of the way." I did not want to annoy Ven on our one day outside of the ship, so I moved down the ramp that had been extended from the ship.

Once on the lime green floor, I turned, realizing I had never really seen the ship that was my home from the outside.

Towering two three stories above me on the four thick legs was a light blue space ship. It had no sharp angles but rather smooth, sleek curves. The ship was shaped like a tear drop that had been placed on its side.

"Blaue, you're beautiful!" I exclaimed, skimming my eyes over the dark blue letters of her name which had been carefully painted on the outside.

"Thank you," Blaue's voice spoke in my ear. "Now you had better get moving. You're still in Ven's way."

No comments:

Post a Comment