Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Entry 37

It was very hard to wrap my mind around the fact that Blaue was not human. She showed true excitement as she revealed the clothes she had picked out for me. She helped me pick out a new outfit to where, saying I should change after such a harrowing adventure. I changed into a lovely light blue top that seemed to be sleeveless but actually had completely see-through sleeves. The pants were a black material that she told me were just as durable as jeans, but they were ten times more comfortable. The yellow boots I put on were more supportive than my sneakers had ever been, though I did not think they went with the outfit very well. Blaue exclaimed it was the intergalactic fashion. Shoes were supposed to be outrageous.

When I went back into the hall, John was waiting for me, fully dressed and his skin stitched together. He wore a bright green shirt and orange pants, a horrid match, but apparently Ven had only been willing to give up his least favorite clothes. Blaue apologized profusely for not thinking to stock herself with clothes for John and promised we would eventually stop to find clothes in his size. Ven’s clothes were all slightly too large for him.

Next Blaue showed us the mess. I was expecting something closer to a small cafeteria, but to my surprise it was a large room that had one area that was quite an extensive kitchen, another area that held the dining table, and another area that looked like a very comfortable living room. Blaue insisted John and I sit and then had Ven make us some food.

“You must be famished,” Blaue fussed. “All the energy that run took!”

“It would have taken more if Ven had not used that gun,” I said, still not able to get over the fact that Ven had shot so many people.

“A gun?” Blaue seemed confused. Then she smiled. “Oh, you mean his sedative?” I stared at her blankly.

“Sedative?” I asked.

“It looks a little like a gun,” Ven agreed, coming over to the table with a plate of what smelled like roast beef but what looked like lettuce. “However, it simply creates a frequency that makes you fall unconscious.” Relief lifted off of my shoulders that I had not been kidnapped by some crazy killer. It was one thing to watch Han Solo shoot down half of the stormtrooper army. It was another thing for your rescuer to kill defenseless anthropologists.

“And here I thought you were threatening to sedate me with a shot,” I responded. Ven and Blaue exchanged an amused glance.

“A shot?” Ven asked. “This isn’t the dark ages, Carlee.” I stayed silent, wondering just how different the universe was going to be from Earth.

“What’s for dinner?” John asked, when he realized I was not going to say anything else.

“I forgot we have to feed the android too,” Ven responded with a frown. He glanced at Blaue. “We’ll have to pick up some more rations. I don’t have enough to feed two humans and an android.”

“Why do androids have to eat?” I asked, looking to John. “If you’re not a biological creature you shouldn’t have to eat, right?”

“I was designed to be exactly like a human,” John answered. “I need to eat. My body breaks down the food, just like yours does, to provide me energy. Otherwise I would be like a robot, and I would need to plug into some sort of electrical outlet to get power. This way I’m not dependent on having such power nearby. I make my own power.”

“It’s just another example of how androids try to be copies of sentients,” Ven said. “And another reason why so many people support the Android Acts. Androids have to eat. They eat the food that sentients need to survive. They are taking vital resources from us.” John looked at me with a frown, and I shrugged. I could not explain Ven to him, I did not understand.

“This is a type of meat,” Blaue said with a smile, smoothing over the awkward silence after Ven’s words. “Try it you’ll like it. At least, Ven likes it as do most humans I’ve encountered. I can’t try it, as I have no mouth or taste buds.” I smiled at her words and took some of the meat, even though it did not look appetizing. Who had ever heard of green meat?

No comments:

Post a Comment