Thursday, August 20, 2009

Entry 43

“Please continue explaining, Blaue,” John prompted. “I am very interested in hearing about the Android Acts.”

“I would be too in your position,” Blaue agreed. “When they create you they give you an understanding of what you should obey, but they never tell you why. They make you compliant without explaining.” I glanced at John, wondering how much of what she said was true. What would it be like to be told at creation that you must adhere to a certain set of rules but never told why?

“It is an understatement to say that when androids became commercially available, chaos ensued. One set of organics were convinced that androids were their equals, therefore, buying and selling them was immoral and slavery. They lobbied for androids to be given full citizen status and be essentially set free. On the other end of the spectrum were the organics who believed androids were abominations and simply morally wrong. They believe that androids were organics’ attempts at trying to become gods but failing and instead creating creatures that would compete with organics at every turn. Androids are smarter, stronger, and more desirable than organics, not to mention the indefinite lifetime. The idea of such competition in the universe was terrifying for these organics.” It scared me slightly that I could understand the reaction to androids that these extremists had, on both sides. But I did not want to understand the people who hated John. He was my brother. I did not care he was an android. Or so I told myself.

“Most of the universe was unsure what to think, but these extremist groups were so vehement that is seemed the entire universe had been polarized. Androids were being stolen and ‘liberated’ on one planet and found and destroyed on other planets. The governments of the planets and the Universal Parliament had no idea what to do. They needed to end the chaos that ensued for nearly an Earth Century.

“That was when an organic named Rauoitlin stepped forward and proposed a compromised called the Android Acts.

“The Android Acts state that no synthetic sentient can be declared a citizen. Androids are considered property, which are ultimately the responsibility of one individual organic sentient. An android cannot leave their owner’s property with direct permission and written signed instruction from their owner. An android is forbidden from leaving any planet, moon, or otherwise inhabited planetary body without their owner. Planets were also allowed to outlaw androids, refusing to allow them to step foot on the planet. An android must also always give identification when asked. However, an android does not have to volunteer information at any time or obey anyone but their owner.”

“That’s a compromise!” I exclaimed in surprise. “Doesn’t sound like there is anything good for androids in that.”

“Oh, but it was a compromise in many ways,” Blaue responded. “Many wanted androids to wear markers visible to organic eyes so an android could be identified on sight. However, the Parliament felt that would continue to make androids a target for both destruction and ‘liberation’.”

“It still seems far from fair,” I said. “You’re saying John basically can’t go anywhere without me.”

“The parliament would say that is for his own protection,” Blaue countered. “You will always be with him to keep him from being destroyed or stolen. You can protect him.”

“John doesn’t need my protection,” I said. “I need his.”

“That is a common use for androids,” Blaue said to my confusion. “Because of the restrictions, androids have become both hard to procure and difficult to have. However, many organics use androids for the purpose of body guards since they are stronger and more durable than organics.”

“John isn’t my bodyguard. He’s my brother,” I responded, upset that she would insinuate I was simply using John.

“You are in the minority when it comes to feeling a strong connection to your android,” Blaue informed me. “Only victims of the Society of Anthropologists have such feelings and the universe it not even filled with a fraction of a percent of such organics.”

I chewed on my lip, glancing at John. What was life going to be like in a universe where John had no future outside of mine? On Earth he had college and an important career to look forward to. Out here, he could not even leave my presence without my permission.

“That’s the basics of the Android Acts though there are more laws involved,” Blaue said after a moment of silence. “If you want to see the entire set of laws they are in my databases and can be easily accessed.”

“Thank you, Blaue,” John said. “I’ll probably want to see that later. For now, can you leave me alone with my sister?”

“Of course,” Blaue responded. She smiled at us both. “If you need anything, let me know. If you run into Ven, don’t take anything he says too seriously. He may be captain, but I’m the ship. He can’t do anything without me.” Then without a further word, Blaue disappeared.

“Carlee, are you ok?” John turned to me with a serious expression.

“Yeah, I’m fine,” I answered without hesitation. John’s expression turned flat.

“Really?” he responded. “Don’t try to lie to me, Carlee. I Know you better than you know yourself. Now tell me. Are you ok?”

No comments:

Post a Comment