Thursday, August 27, 2009

Entry 46

"I wonder what our options are," John said thoughtfully as we waited for Ven. It was not a very large ship, and I was wondering what was taking Ven so long. He was certainly taking his sweet time coming to the mess hall.

"Not leaving you," I responded as I put away the needle and thread.

"Of course we won't be separating," John agreed as I sat down at the table. "But Blaue is right. We can't just stay on the ship."

"Though I wish you could," Blaue sighed. "Ven may be my captain, but he's not always very good company." As Blaue spoke, the mess hall doorway opened. Ven gave Blaue a flat look, but he otherwise ignored her remark.

"Goodmorning, Carlee," Ven said, looking as dashing as ever. He wore an emerald green button-up shirt and black pants. His shoes were still red.

"Morning, Ven," I responded, feeling a little sullen. I did not want to deal with his self righteous tirades and anti-android sentiments. "What's up?" He frowned, looking puzzled at my words.

"There is nothing up," he said, sitting at the table. "I do not understand the question."

"Nevermind," I mumbled. He studied me a moment quizzacly and then glanced at Blaue who smiled brightly.

"It's probably a colloquialism," she said cheerily. "John and Carlee have already taught me several from their conversations."

"Just what I need," Ven muttered. "A ship that speaks in unintelligable colloquialisms." Blaue's smile turned devilish, as if she planned on baffling him with the slang she had learned.

"Blaue told us you want to talk to us about our future options," John said politely.

"Yes, I am here to talk to Carlee about her future options," Ven responded, looking at me. "You are a guest on my ship, but this is not a permanent arrangement."

"Wouldn't want it to be," I said. Ven ignored my sullen tone.

"My superiors instructed that I take you to the human colony," Ven said, "but the android complicates things. I cannot take you there unless..."

"I'm not getting rid of John like he's an old hat," I snapped.

"So you've said," Ven said. "I hope that the future will show you otherwise. For the immediate future, you will remain on the ship with me." He paused. "However, I need you to understand that freeing people from the Society is not a high paying job. It's not my career. I am a merchant."

"You're a salesman?" I exclaimed in surprise. Somehow I just could not imagine the dashing, irritating Ven as being a very good salesman.

"That word is unfamiliar to me," Ven responded. "But I buy and sell goods. I also ship goods for others. I am scheduled to stop at a spacestation later in this week to do business. I would prefer that you and your android stay on the ship with Blaue, but Blaue has pointed out that you will never truly comprehend the situation you are in unless you see more of the universe. Therefore, I will allow you to board the space station with me."

"John too?" I asked.

"Your android may accompany you," Ven said after a moment. "I think you would get yourself into too much trouble without some sort of chaperone and I cannot watch you every moment. You are a troublesome girl, Carlee Earhart."

"Thank you," I responded smugly.

No comments:

Post a Comment