Thursday, August 6, 2009

Entry 38

I stared at the green meat on my plate for a moment, and then I made a solemn vow to myself that I have held to this day. I would try everything put in front of me and would never ask what it really was, a sort of don’t ask don’t tell policy. Strange foods that sounded and looked disgusting probably filled the universe, but that did not mean they did not actually taste good.

So I inserted my fork into the green meet and put it into my mouth. Flavor exploded into my mouth. We have nothing on Earth like it, so it’s hard to describe. However, imagine something salty like bacon but with the full flavor of beef. It was simultaneously smoky and tangy. It was delicious, and I was quick to fork another bite into my mouth.

“This is good,” I said. “What…” I stopped myself when I realized that I was going to ask what it was. I did not want to know. I did not want to discover that it was some strange animal’s tongue. I just wanted to think of it as delicious meat.

“It’s a common meat in the Universe: cheap, packed with nutrients, but good,” Ven answered. “It’s called Fretan among the peoples who speak languages similar to ours. It’s one of my standard rations.”

“It is very good,” John agreed after taking a bite from the plate Ven had reluctantly given him. Ven ignored John completely.

“So what is the plan now?” I asked after a few moments of awkward silence. “Now that we’ve escaped the clutches of the evil Society of Anthropologists, what is the next thing on the agenda? The human colony?”

“The Society is not evil,” John corrected me. “Just misguided.”

“Well, we must spend a few days getting lost,” Blaue said. “We need to make sure the Society does not know where we are.” She then looked to Ven.

“Normally I would take you to the human colony after that,” Ven continued. “However, the android and your reluctance to depart from it presents a problem, as I’ve already explained that the colony does not allow androids.” He leveled his gaze on John, who stared back unflinchingly.

“I will not leave my brother,” I reiterated.

“So you’ve said,” Ven said. “However, you are still thinking of it as human. I am sure that once you realize he is not human your feelings will dissipate. I can then take you to the human colony.”

“And what about John?” I demanded. “Will you destroy him then?”

“No,” Ven looked at me as if I was insane. “I may not like androids, but I would not simply destroy it. Its body is composed of parts that could be harmful to the environment if simply released. It’s a universal offense to destroy an android without the proper procedures, which I know none of. No, there are places where androids without owners can be taken to live their supposed ‘natural lives in peace and harmony without organic interference.’” The last words sounded like they were quoted from a brochure and his face clearly showed he did not believe one of the words.

No comments:

Post a Comment