Friday, July 3, 2009

Entry 15

I crawled through, remaining on my hands and knees on the platform. I stared at the metallic platform for a moment before looking up. The waterfall was even closer now. Looking at the tons of water flowing by me, fear gripped my heart. I could swim, but I did not much like it. Being close to a huge waterfall was not my idea of fun.

Suddenly a strong hand gripped my shoulder. “Take it easy, Carlee,” Ven said. “Let me help you up.” I nodded.

Ven may not have looked like an action hero, but his lean figure disguised his strength. He pulled me to my feet easily, as if I weighed nothing. It made me wonder if he was an android too. John’s strength was ridiculous. He could move me like I was a doll.

“You look pale. Are you alright?” Ven’s question was not exactly laced with concern for me. I think he just wanted to know if he had to keep a grip on me to keep me from falling over the edge.

“I don’t really like water,” I answered, “but I’m fine. Where do we go from here?”

“I’ve called my ship to meet us here,” Ven answered, letting go of me. I leaned against the wall, far away from the edge. “We are standing on the outside of the northern edge of the Society’s zoo complex. This waterfall powers the complex. My ship will come to the edge and we will get in. Then we will get you to safety.”

“Wait, what about John?” I demanded, glaring up at the tall man. “I won’t leave without my brother.” Sympathy suddenly touched the man’s face.

“You have no brother, Carlee,” Ven said. “You may not have been made aware of this, but the thing you thought was your brother was no more than an android.” I frowned, perplexed.

“I know. John told me he was an android,” I responded. “But we still have to go get him. I’m sure the Society has him somewhere. After all, he’s the one they really want, isn’t he? They put him on Earth to study our culture. They want the information inside him, so they must be holding him somewhere.”

“I’m sure they are,” Ven said, looking at me oddly. “But I will not risk our lives to find your android.”

“He’s my brother,” I responded, shocked by his words. “We can’t just leave him. We have to rescue him.”

“Carlee,” Ven said firmly, his gaze locked on mine. “I know you must have feelings for your android, because you surely must not have realized beforehand what it was, but you have no brother. It is just an android, a machine, an automaton. It is not human. There is no John Earhart. There is only you. I will not risk human lives to save an android.”

I could not believe what I was hearing. I knew John was an android, John had told me so himself, but he was still my brother. John and I had grown up together. He was all I had, my only family. It did not matter to me if he was an android or an alien or a human. He was all I had, and I would not leave him behind.

“No,” I said firmly. “John is my brother. I will not leave him. You may do what you like but I will be going back for him.” I moved as if to go back through the opening, but Ven reached out and stopped me.

“Carlee, I can’t let you do that,” he said. “I was sent here to rescue you. I can’t let you just go. It is too dangerous. You will come with me, and I will take you to the Earthling colony.”

“Not without John,” I responded. I used my arm that he was not holding to sink my nails into his flesh. I had often used my nails to fight back with John when I had been irritated with John when we were younger. Ven grabbed my hand and pulled my nails out of him, wincing.

“That hurt,” he said. “I don’t appreciate that, Carlee.”

“Then you will appreciate this less,” I snapped. I then leaned forward and sunk me teeth into his lower arm.

I don’t know if you have ever bitten anyone, but I never had before. It was a strange experience, but I did not hesitate to bite him hard. The metallic taste of his blood filled my mouth. It was disgusting and made me wish I had not bitten him at all. However, it had the desired effect.

Ven cursed and let go of me.

I escaped back into the ductwork and scurried away. I had no idea where I was going or what was going to happen, but I knew I was not leaving without my brother, android or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment