Monday, July 27, 2009

Question Break Answers 6

Another weekend on Earth gone past, another question asked! This week's question asked by anonymous is:

Since I know you somehow manage to get John out (as you refer to him being on the ship currently) I am sorely wondering how you got it past Ven; however, I suppose you're getting to that in due time so I shall be patient. On a lighter note, I am curious to know what gadget(s) you've seen in your travels that strike you as particularly interesting/novel. Anything come to mind you'd like to share? I'm going to go out on a limb and assume androids are not something you would classify as a gadget.

Don't worry. The whole how I amazingly connived to get Ven to let me take John into space will be told this week. Or rather....well, you'll see soon enough. I don't want to spoil it here. I'm very tempted to, but I won't. You'll just have to live in anticipation a few days longer.

On the gadgets/technology side of things, you're right. I don't consider androids a "gadget". However, they are major feats of technology. Somehow the universe has created synthetic sentients that can't really be distinguished from organic sentients. It's amazing.

The spaceships out here are phenomonal. You have no idea. Blaue is probably the second most amazing feat of techology (second to androids of course). She's amazing. I mean, she flies herself. Ven may be "captain" but that just means that he has absolute final say. Blaue listens to Ven about as often as John listens to me, which is never.

(John resents that comment. He says he always listens to me. He just doesn't act on everything I say.)

But spaceships aren't really gadgety and you'll get to know Blaue better in the coming entries. So what other cool gadgets have I seen?

I suppose when you say gadget you're thinking handheld device sort of like James Bond might have, but the crazy thing about the universe is that only crazy purists (like Ven) have handheld devices. Everyone else implants their devices. I'm not sure I'll ever be brave enough to except an implant, which might label me a "purist" too, but my feelings about androids would make me an impure purist.

Anyway, implants. People add implants to like their eyes. This makes their eyes better, able to zoom in on far away things, and also enables them to take photos with their eyes. Anything they see, they can take a picture of. Also works the same with video, so pretty much anyone could be recording you at anytime and you wouldn't know it because they're using their eyes. It's wild. Makes for great spies I guess.

Some people implant their interfaces with their Artificial Cognizants into their brains, so they can just think at their Artificial Cognizants and get things done. Of course, not everyone has an Artificial Cognizant. Some just connect to more basic computer interfaces. It's sort of like they're connected to the internet at all time, which makes it very disconcerting when people totally like google you when you introduce yourself. Sort of goes like this:

Me to an alien I don't know: Hey I'm Carlee Earhart.

Alien: You mean the girl who broke out of the Society?

Me: Uh......Yeah?

It's very disconcerting.

Let's see...other cool gadgets.

Ven's sedative is pretty cool, but that's coming later in the story...I don't want to give anything away.

That's the problem with telling you about cool gadgets. Most of the ones I know are things that I've encountered through Ven and our adventures in space. So in short, I'm going to make you wait in anticipation for the cooler gadgets.

Sorry about that.

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment