Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Entry 23

I would like to take a moment to clarify Ven’s self-righteous, holier-than-thou, anti-android speech, mainly because I was confused when he said it. But I am telling you this story with hindsight and experience; therefore, I can clarify a few of Ven’s more confusing words.

Ven uses the words “sentient” and “sentients” like we might use “person” and “people” or “human” and “humans”. By “sentient” he means an organic, thinking life-form, such as humans, Ovleen, and the myriads of other creatures that populate the galaxy due to evolution or a divine plan, depending upon your views. Basically it refer to anything organically, biologically spawned, though it also includes test tube babies and products of genetic manipulation. So really it means “anything alive and thinking except androids”. By “de-sentientize” he means the same thing people mean when they say dehumanize. Got it? Good. Now let’s move on to my reaction to Ven’s passionate but horribly wrong speech.

“What did androids ever do to you?” I demanded, horribly offended on John’s behalf by his words.

“Their very existence is offensive to any intelligent sentient,” Ven answered.

“You sound like every other ignorant anti-technology hic,” I retorted. “John has done nothing but good for me. He has been the best big brother there is.”

“He has undoubtedly been better than any real human brother could ever be,” Ven responded, not even glancing at me as we moved through the halls of the building. “Therein lies the problem with androids. They put this idea of perfection in your head. You own this android you view as your brother, do you realize that? Of course it did everything you said. It has to. You are its owner. No real brother could ever be like. You now have an unreal, unnatural standard of what a brother, or a loved one should be like, and you are investing far too much of your emotions into something that isn’t even real.”

“A toaster is real,” I said, “and John is far more than a toaster. And isn’t better that I had a brother, android or human, than not having a brother at all?”

“No,” Ven answered. I simply stared at him appalled. He would rather I have spent my life alone. He would rather I had been without any family than my only family be an android.

“I am not leaving without John,” I said in a low fierce voice. “You need to get that through your thick head, Ven. I would rather be a captive here with John than be free without him on a human colony.”

“That’s because you still think it’s human,” Ven answered. “You’ll understand when I show you the truth.” I glared at him, angry that he would not even consider my words. Ven Barker was turning out to be quite the horrible hero.

I was about to say something smart and scathing, but we turned a corner and all thoughts of retorting left my mind. The white walls had disappeared and I was staring out at the planet the building was on.

The sky was a pale lavender, perturbed by puffy white clouds. I wondered what chemicals would create such a lovely color. Large domed white buildings glittered in the light of a small white star. Surely such a small star meant the outside world was freezing! However, what shocked me the most was the aliens who seemed to be walking on midair, stepping out of the building from which I watched onto air. They walked as if unfazed across nothing to the building across the way. Bellow them a fierce river which undoubtedly led to the waterfall roared by.

“Carlee, come on,” Ven said, glancing back at me when he realized I had stopped. One more step and he would be standing in mid air like the other aliens.

“Ven, there is no more floor,” I exclaimed. He simply gave me an exasperated look and stepped out onto nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment