Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Entry 26

“So where exactly is my brother?” I asked, bringing attention back to me. The Cognizant smiled at me sympathetically.

“As I said before your android is in processing,” the Cognizant said. As he spoke a three dimensional layout of the building appeared in the air beside him. A lime green line appeared, snaking through the layout. Ven studied it carefully, while I stared at it with little comprehension.

“So they haven’t gotten rid of his body yet?” I asked, almost afraid of the answer.

“No, they have not,” the Cognizant answered. Relief filled me, and I felt a weight lift off of my shoulders. John was going to be alright. “Since his return was not on schedule, the Anthropologists have not been as efficient processing him. Also since your arrival was just before the symposium, they spent all that time preparing for the symposium instead of processing your android.”

“Thank goodness,” I said.

“You intend to take him with you,” the Cognizant said, studying me.

“We’re not going to steal an android, Cognizant,” Ven responded.

“Actually, it would not be stealing,” the Cognizant replied. “By all accounts, John Earhart belongs to Miss Earhart.”

“We’re not taking the android with us,” Ven said with finality. However, I paid little attention to his tone. We were taking John with us. I could care less what Ven thought about the matter. Once I had John I would no longer need Ven. I could just leave him and escape with John.

“Do we have everything we need now to find John?” I asked, looking to Ven. He was still studying the map, but he nodded.

“Yes, the directions are more than adequate,” Ven answered. “Cognizant, I do not often try to get into the android area. Is there anything I need to know? Specifically about getting to this android and getting out again?”

“The androids are monitored by the Security Cognizant,” the Cognizant answered. “If you try to unplug John Earhart from the mainframe, the Security Cognizant will be aware.” He paused and smiled devilishly. “Unless you want my assistance, I can distract my sibling.”

“We do not plan on unplugging anything,” Ven said. “A quick in and out. We just want to look.”

“Well, looking is not forbidden,” the Cognizant answered, “and many people will be looking because of the symposium. If looking is all you’re doing, then the Security Cognizant will not be alerted. You had better be careful though, Mr. Barker. You are high on the list of my sibling’s priorities.”

“Does the Security Cognizant actively scan this area?” Ven asked. The Cognizant shook his head.

“Not during symposium,” he answered. “There are too many sentients here for my sibling to actively scan everyone. You should be fine.”

“Cognizant,” I spoke up. “If your brother is monitoring the androids, how can I escape with my brother?”

“My sibling,” he corrected. “We are genderless. And my sibling is very thorough in its job. But as I mentioned to Mr. Barker, I could assist you.”

“Why would you?” I asked, but Ven cut the Cognizant off. “It’s a moot point. We are not freeing her android.”

No comments:

Post a Comment