Monday, July 6, 2009

Question Break Answers 3

So we had three questions this round. Woohoo! I love having contact with Earth. This and facebook are all that is keeping me sane.

So questions and answers!!!

Anonymous (a word I usually can't spell, thank you spell check) asks:

A couple questions actually:

1. You mentioned in the last post that you don't do well with water. Did you have a scarring incident in some point of your childhood or something?

2. How would you describe John? Is he like the terminator from Terminator 2 that can learn and adapt, perhaps having grown into some level of consciousness? Or is he more like Sonny from "I, Robot" (the movie) where he always seemed human to you? Or is he more like Data from Star Trek, the machine striving to be man yet always somewhat falling short (even if barely noticeable)?


Anonymous,

I wouldn't say a scarring event...let's just say that bodies of water and myself never really got along. There is a list of events that cause me to dislike water: 1) Getting thrown into the pool by one of my foster parent's friends before I could swim, 2) an evil and mean swim instructor when I was younger, 3) going swimming with a friend who apparently couldn't swim and tried to drown me to keep her head above the water, 4) fun fun middle school pool parties (yes that was sarcasm). The list could go on. It just seems like every time I'm around a body of water, something bad happens. So was there one particularly scarring experience? No. Any one of those events is definitely recoverable. However, all of them added onto each other makes for an aversion to water.

How would I describe John? Well, I would describe him as my brother. It is my firm belief that he is as cognizant as you or I (man, cognizant - totally an SAT word). Many people exist on both sides of the camp on this matter, however. Ven, for one, thinks androids are just machines as he expressed earlier. I believe John is as human as I am. So he's definitely not like a terminator - a machine that kind of, sort of gets a grasp of human feelings. I don't know anything about Sonny from "I, Robot" the movie because John would not let me watch it (he said that Asimov is rolling in his grave somewhere because of that movie). I wouldn't compare him to Data either, because John will tell you he's an android, like Data, but John isn't striving to be human. He knows what he is, and he's ok with that. And he's basically completely human. Everyone believed he was the entire time he lived on Earth. He was one of the most popular and well liked kids in our school. Therefore, if I had to compare John to a fictional android/robot, I would compare him to Asimov's R. Daneel Olivaw, but more like Daneel is in the Foundation Series, not the Robot Series. He's completely cool with who he is, he's indistinguishable from a human, and he's secretly running the entire human race. Ok, that last one was not a true comparison. John isn't secretly running the entire human race. But like Daneel, I would say John makes a better human than most humans do. Wow, that made me thing of Stephen Byerley in "I, Robot" the book. Maybe I should compare John to him? Either way you get the idea.

That answer was a little long, but it's a question I have thought of myself and have thought a bit about.

Next Adrianne asks:

So what was the deal with the waterfall? Maybe I didn't read well enough.

Also, how do you pronounce your last name? Is it like Ear-heart or Air-heart? Just wondering.


The waterfall is what powers the zoo complex, according to Ven. John confirms this. I imagine it might work sort of like a dam, except I don't really know how dams work other than they provide power. If you need more info I'll ask John for a wikipedia-like answer. But if that's all you wanted to know, there it is.

And my last name is totally pronounced Air-heart. People who pronounce Ear-hart really annoy me. Air-heart just sounds sooo much cooler than Ear-heart, which makes it seem like I love ears or something. Not that I dislike ears. I just don't heart them.

No comments:

Post a Comment