Monday, July 20, 2009

Entry 25

Fear clutched my heart, my mouth went dry, and my entire body tensed as if to run. How did this man know who I was? How did he know who Ven was? Had this all been a set up? I looked at Ven, who seemed very unconcerned.

“We need information, please, Cognizant,” Ven said, strangely respectful to this man who had found us out.

“Ven!” I hissed. “How does he know who we are?” Ven looked at me, momentarily perplexed.

“I often forget how little Earthlings know,” Ven said. “Carlee, this is the android building’s Artificial Cognizant.” He motioned to the man who bowed toward me in an Asian manner. “Cognizants know everything. It’s their job. However, because of the competitiveness of Anthropologists and the android industry, this particular Cognizant has a very serious and unbreakable confidentiality program. It knows who we all are, but it won’t tell anyone. It can’t. It’s not a Security Cognizant, just an informational one.”

“Why is he human?” I asked still unsure.

“I can answer for myself, Miss Earhart,” the man responded. “I appear in the form in of the sentient accessing me. In the case of you and Mr. Barker, that would be human.” I nodded, but I still felt very uneasy. This Artificial Cognizant knew who I was. Surely nothing good could come from that.

“How can I help you, Mr. Barker?” the Cognizant asked with a pleasant smile.

“We’re looking for the android assigned to Carlee Earhart,” Ven answered. “Will you tell us where it is being held?”

“Looking for androids?” the Cognizant seemed surprised. “This is not like you, Mr. Barker.” I wondered how much this Cognizant knew about Ven, how much he knew about me. Could something that knew so much really be trusted?

“Carlee has quite the attachment to her android,” Ven said with a sigh. “I’m trying to cure her of it.”

“He is my brother,” I responded defensively. The Cognizant gave me a sympathetic look, as if he understood exactly what I was feeling. I shifted uncomfortably under his knowing gaze.

“I know where the android designated as John Earhart is,” the Cognizant said. “He is still in processing.”

“It, Cognizant,” Ven said. “It is still in processing.” He gave the Cognizant a significant look.

“I am an ‘it’, Mr. Barker,” the Cognizant responded. “I have no gender, as I take on a form most acceptable to whoever accesses me: male, female, neuter, or any other gender. The android John Earhart, however, is created to be a male. Therefore, the pronoun ‘he’ is appropriate when applied to him. I am a Cognizant, Mr. Barker. I am never wrong.”

“It’s a matter of opinion,” Ven said with a scowl for the Cognizant. “It depends on your views.”

“I am a Cognizant,” it responded. “I have no opinion, only facts.”

“Yeah, and I’m an Earthling,” Ven said dryly, causing me to frown. Ven seemed comfortable and relaxed with this Cognizant, not at all like I imagined he would be with John. He seemed to be treating the Cognizant almost like an equal, something with opinions and thoughts. It seemed very contradictory to me. How could Ven detest androids so much and yet feel perfectly comfortable about a Cognizant?

No comments:

Post a Comment